Meet our May Barre Star, Shireen! Shireen has taken over 250 classes at Barre Forte since starting with us in October 2015! Amazing job.
She shows up, works hard, and has become an integral part of our Barre Forte family! We appreciate her bringing her friends and family to the Barre, too! The entire team is impressed with her commitment to her health, which is why Shireen has been overwhelmingly selected as our May Barre Star.
We love having her as a part of our Barre Forte Family, and we are excited to see her continue to thrive at the Barre!
Read on to learn more about Shireen.
1) Where are you from, and how long have you been in Gainesville?
I am originally from the Tampa area. I moved to Gainesville to go to undergrad, and I never left! I attended medical school and did my residency in OBGYN at UF. I have been on faculty at UF in the College of Medicine for 13 years.
2) What's your favorite Barre-themed shirt?
Since I always look forward to attending barre when I am post-call (and sleep deprived from being up delivering babies), I love my “Team No Sleep” shirt!
3) Tell us something fun about yourself/what you do when you're not at Barre?
My husband and I love to travel, both together and with our three children. I also enjoy running, reading, and cooking.
4) Was your first Barre class what you expected? Why or why not?
My dear friend Karen invited me to attend barre with her, and I was hooked from the first visit. I danced my whole life growing up, so I knew I would be comfortable with choreography and timing. I could not have imagined how strong and empowered it would make me feel.
5) Why did you decide to continue with Barre Forte after your free week by investing in an unlimited membership?
I continue to attend because I think it is very important for women to maintain flexibility and core strength as they age. In my opinion, barre is the perfect exercise that is adaptable to all ages and abilities. It is also an excellent total body workout that is really super efficient. It really is something I can see myself doing for years to come.
6) What makes this workout different from other exercises you have experienced?
I love the emphasis on “meet YOUR best.” Some days, I feel tired or sore, and I know I can lower my weights and still get a great workout. My heart rate always gets up, I always break a sweat, I clear my mind, and I always feel completely drained (in the best way) when I leave.
7) What is your favorite Barre move so far? Why?
I have two favorites. I love all the calf work, because I always try to challenge my balance- another thing that is super important for women as they age. My other favorite is seated pretzel- always challenging.
8) What results have you noticed after doing Barre consistently?
I have definitely noticed improvement in functional strength. Some days at work are physically challenging, especially in the OR, and I have noted that my back does not hurt as much as in the past at the end of a long day. I think I remember to focus on my posture more. I also have developed more muscle definition and strength.
9) Have you experienced any benefits from Barre that have affected you not just physically, but mentally, too?
I think my ability to concentrate has improved. I also am better at pushing through physical or mental pain! (quads set kill me every time)
10) What is your favorite "bonus" class that you have participated in and why?
I mostly attend barre classes, but I have also attended and enjoy barre-bata and yoga.
11) Is there anything you would like to share with potential new clients about your experience at Barre Forte? Any helpful tips for those who are considering trying Barre, but are nervous?
I always tell my friends and patients that barre is the perfect workout, for the reasons I outlined above. But, even better, Barre Forte is the best place to do it! I love the community of women who attend and I always enjoy seeing smiling and encouraging faces when I show up. I love when the instructors introduce names before the class. It is so fun to walk in and be greeted, welcomed, and to catch up on your week. And then to suffer together over the next hour. :) These women ROCK!
See all of our #BarreStars